The Parable of the Preacher's Two Sons

There was once a preacher with two sons. The preacher wished and expected his sons to grow up to be holy men like him, but his sons had different plans in mind. The first of the two wished to be a sailor. “I want to explore the world, teach nations of truth, discover new lands, and meet new people,” he thought, “This is my desire.” The second of the two sons desired to be an artist. “I want to paint, draw, sculpt, and create things with my own hands!” he told his father once.
            “Son, you must never fall to the wicked ways of the world,” the preacher told him, “If you wish to stay close to God, then you must be a preacher when you are grown.”
            “But father, I can do many great things with art! I can create beauty to inspire others, just like God created the beauty of this earth!” the preacher’s son said.
            “Nonsense!” the preacher said, “And besides, artists do not live well enough. You will never be able to come up with money to provide for your family, and you will be miserable for your whole life.” The preacher’s son still did not change his mind because of his father’s words.
            The preacher’s two sons grew up fast, but they stayed strong and close to God. However, they did not change their minds about their future occupations. When the older of the two was twenty-one years of age, he decided that he wanted to take a job as a crew member for a ship that was leaving at a nearby port. The preacher knew that it was time to give his oldest son a pep talk.
            “Son,” the preacher said, “this ship will be the end of you. You must either be swallowed up by the sea or be safe here on land. Even if your voyage miraculously happens to be successful, the spoils and wealth that you will receive will bring you close to the world and far from God. I beg of you, son. Stay and work here at a different job.”
            “Father, I understand and appreciate your concerns for me,” the preacher’s son replied, “but I must sail the seas. There are people in this world who haven’t heard the gospel, and people who don’t know the truth. I can do much good by teaching them the right, and I must do it even if it so be that I perish in the act; come what may.”
            “I am very sorry for you, then. I must insist. I cannot support you in this cause of death and destruction, and it is expedient that I disown you if you do this. Son, put off your stubbornness.” The preacher said.
            “I’m sorry, father, but this is my passion and my dream. I wish to teach the world the gospel to prepare Christ to come, for verily He saith: ‘Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost: Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you always, even unto the end of the world.’ Father, the Lord will protect me if my conscience is right. And if you must disown me, do it, for I will not change my mind.”
            “So be it.” With that, the preacher’s eldest son left on a journey, and throughout the course of his life, he did as Christ instructed him to do: baptizing and teaching all nations. He never saw his father again.
            The preacher knew that his younger son wanted to be an artist. He also knew that his son would never recant, but that didn’t stop the preacher from trying to convince his son. “Art is foolish and of the world. Your paintings and drawings will do you no good,” the preacher preached to his son.
            The younger son’s response was very similar to his older brother’s: “Father, this is my talent, my dream, and my purpose. Art can do a lot of good for people and for God. I will never create things of foolishness, but instead, all of my artwork will be made to glorify my Maker.”
            The preacher pleaded with his son, and threatened to disown him as well, but his son persisted. It was not easy for the artist to leave his father. It brought him much hardship and heartache, as it was with the sailor, but they loved God more than their father.
            The preacher’s sons spent their whole lives glorifying God and bettering His children, and they never regretted their decisions. However, they wept for fear of their father, and they were never acquainted with him again.
            Thus, we see that nothing can stop good works or righteous dreams.
The Parable of the Preacher's Two Sons The Parable of the Preacher's Two Sons Reviewed by IJ Pack on 11:21 AM Rating: 5

No comments